Thursday 12 January 2012

Student Loans For College Should Be Borrowed With Discretion

A friend of mine decided when she was in college that she would take out loans to the tune of more than $100,000. I borrowed rather liberally, as well, but I soon discovered that student loans for college should be borrowed with discretion.

One thing that I found out when I first started out is that student loans for college are relatively easy to obtain. This can be a good thing and a very bad thing, especially when asking an 18- or 19-year old to make a decision about how much money they think they need. I decided for two straight years that I was not going to work to help pay for college, but was simply going to live off of the loan refunds that I made and focus on studying. Now, I wish I could go back and change that.

Another friend decided that she was going to borrow student loans for college very sparingly and work full time at a supermarket to help defray her college costs. She had a partial scholarship, which certainly helped, but she had to pay a lot out of pocket. At the time, I thought that was ridiculous, because I was under the delusion that I would actually get a job once I graduated that would pay me enough to repay my loans with relative ease. While some of my classmates who majored in such areas as business and finance certainly did, I, as a psychology major, did not.

I am very fortunate in that I have worked in a couple of areas that have allowed me to make a fairly substantial income to supplement the one that I earn from my 9-to-5 job, but it is still not as easy as I would like for it to be. student loans for college have taken a lot from my banking account, and while I am certainly happy to have a degree, I really wish that I had planned better.

Now, on the flip side of this, some of us could not have gone to school without student loans, and I was one of them. I had two scholarships to the university I attended, and it still was not enough. That is why I don't want to seem like I am ungrateful for the student loans for college that were available to me at the time, because they really helped. What I am saying is that if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have planned a little bit better and not borrowed quite so much. I think it would make it a lot easier on me today.

No comments: